At the start of every year, I choose a word for the year as well as a few mantras. For 2015, my word was SHINE and one of my mantras was “To get new results, you must try new things.” I set out to try new things so I’d have an extraordinary year…and I have!
Want to get new results? Try new things!
November is a busy month for us then it’s full-on holiday mode so NOW is when I start looking at the next year. I’ve got big plans for 2016!
But first, I want to reflect on 2015 (and in the next post, encourage YOU to try new things in 2016. But only if you want new results!).
They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, yet how many times do we live on autopilot, keeping the same habits, maintaining the same friendships and investing our time into the same endeavors year after year?
This year, I was determined to SHINE, which is why I chose it for my word.
I also took risks.
I knew I’d have to be uncomfortable. I knew I’d do things imperfectly. I knew I’d make mistakes. But I was willing to risk it in order to get new results.
The two main things I did were
- hosting a monthly “Time to SHINE” workshop
- blogging twice a week
I’d never hosted anything on a regular basis and I’d never blogged with anywhere near that much consistency! Both of these goals forced me to come up with the content, and ideas to execute them. That forced me to schedule the events, send the email newsletters, talk to the people, ask for help, and put my fingers to the keyboard. That’s where the real magic is–action. For me, knowing people are depending on me is all the motivation I need.
- spoke about productivity and passion at the Chandler Chamber of Commerce Women in Business expert’s lounge
- spoke about professional image for Career Connectors
- Supported Go Red For Women
- hosted a Valentine’s Day potluck tea party
- hosted a Celebrate Life! retreat
- hosted several Writer’s Circles
- hosted a workshop for sales guru Casey Carpenter
- served as the secretary for the Gilbert Women’s Leadership Circle (and helped organize their fashion show to benefit the Boy & Girls Club)
- sent out an email newsletter every month (plus a few extra)
- grew my email list by over 80 people
- created my first lead page
- assigned over 50 Signature Colors
- and created my first ebook!
It’s been a lot of work. Consistency IS hard work! There were technology issues, late nights and plenty of drama (the drama was all me).
On a more personal level, I…
- helped my mom host a weekly Life Group
- served as the secretary for the Gilbert Historical Society (and sang at their fundraising gala!)
- served as the Assistant On-Site Event Manager for the Global Leadership Summit at the Gilbert Campus of Central Christian
- spoke about Taking The Next Step at a women’s luncheon
- volunteered at the Pregnancy Care Center of Chandler
- was a shark for Marketplace Matters as well as a vendor etiquette expert and workshop speaker on social media for their extravaganza
I did life with and served alongside some of the most wonderful people on the planet.
This is not a conclusive list!
And this is also not a “Look How Amazing Tabitha Is” list…this is simply what I DID this year to get new results.
While some of my endeavors were more personal and some more geared toward helping me expand my influence, ALL of them meant embracing the opportunity to try new things and have new experiences.
And I can say that this is the best year I’ve ever had.
That’s why I’m wondering…are YOU ready to get new results?
It won’t be easy. But it will be SO worth it.