Whether your sense of purpose is waning or you’ve never really figured yours out, a purpose reboot is a great way to to get focused and re-energized. Jobs, holidays, family demands–they can distract us from our purpose until it falls to the bottom of our to-do list. If living with purpose is on your radar but seems daunting or impossible, it’s time for a
The main idea is to get inspired enough to break out of the day-to-day grind. Purposeful people are intentional people.
Need help with your purpose? Create your purpose statement.
1. Schedule some time for yourself just like an important appointment (because what’s more important than living up to your potential?)
Just stepping out of your normal routine will help you reconnect with your purpose. Anything that gets your brain firing in new directions will work.
What to do?
:: Go to a park or cafe and create some action steps toward the vision you have for your life, or just let your creative juices flow. Not sure where to start? Follow your curiosity.
:: You might also like to journal (see #3 below for ideas).
Here are a few other ways to get inspired or gain new insight.
- WALK. Walking gets blood flowing to the brain and boost creativity.
- MUSIC. Listening to music activates the brain regions involved in attention, planning and memory.
- ART. Even just doodling is a terrific way to move into your right brain and explore new ideas.
- GO SOMEWHERE INSPIRING. A garden, a museum, a favorite landmark–wherever helps you feel open and relaxed.
2. Let some things go.
It’s like a don’t-do list. Buy a frozen lasagna and you just bought yourself an hour. Tell the committee you’re taking a break. Let your hair air dry. Skip the book club meeting you don’t enjoy. Make room for what matters!
If everything keeps rattling around inside your head, you’ll never make progress. If you write it down and mull it over, you might be surprised at what you discover.
The part of my life I feel most frustrated about right now is ______.
I’d love to stop ______ to free up more time to ______.
I need to add more ______ to my life.
An obligation I’d love to give up is ______.
A connection I’d love to make is _____.
4. Choose an action step.
None of this work matter if you don’t do something about it. What is ONE step you can take to move closer to your purpose? Decide, then tell someone so they can hold you accountable.
And if you need help getting going, contact me for a FREE strategy session!
Which of these have you tried? What works well for you?