I actually wrote about this topic almost four years ago at a similar crossroads and the answer was no, I wasn’t ready to take it to the next level. Click over and read it if you’re thinking about leveling up your own business or venture. It’s pretty good! Up until recently, I was interested in simply maximizing the level I was on. Then after adjusting to life with a toddler and putting my business aside to try out a few side ventures for a time, I realized I needed to make the choice of leveling up or stepping down.
I sought advice and wisdom from friends, family and trusted advisers. There were some things I needed to accept:
- I love to work. I adore the writing, teaching, speaking and marketing. I can’t imagine not doing those things.
- I’ve spent years doing all of the above (mostly self taught) yet I didn’t really have much to sell (that to say, I have a lot to teach now…and I need more to sell!).
- I love the work I do. Little lights me up more than giving women a confidence boost. I want to do more of it!
- I have kids who need me and a self-employed hubby I have to work around. It has to be really worth it for me to take time away from them!
- I’m already spending huge amounts of time on my “business” but it’s not being reflected in my bank account.
- I was beginning to resent it when work came my way.
- I love color and want to train women in the Color Codes.
- I want to offer more personalized, real-life help to the women in my circle of influence (thus my word for 2019, TOGETHER)
It was more of a shift of focus than doing something new. The whole “work smarter, not harder” cliche.
I needed to get paid more for my services. I needed to set a speaking fee instead of taking on free gigs “for the exposure.” I needed to find ways to give high value to my ladies in a way that was worth it to me.
Most of all I needed to see myself as worthy of leveling up, of giving myself a raise and of valuing my time.
So I’ve already set some things into motion. Discover Your Signature Color went from $29 to $97. I have plans to add even more value to it (think videos!) and adding a referral thank you (Signature Color bracelets!). I am in the process of creating a paid membership that includes access to my “Insiders” Facebook group. You can hang out over there to check it out until I open up membership in mid March then make it members-only starting April 1st.
Leveling up also means my Sta-tea-gy Teas are now $100 and I’m thrilled to offer more value there as well. Speaking gigs are $100 at my house, $150 at other venues. I’ll never host another tea party for less than $30 per person! And just doing all of that makes me feel so much better because I needed to exercise my faith muscles in believing I’m worth it.
I’m also working on training women in the Color Codes! Let me know if that’s of interest to you. It can be you personally or a team of ladies.
I tell women all the time to own how amazing they are, to stop hiding, to get out there and celebrate what makes them amazing. Now it’s my turn and I hope you’ll be along for the ride.
~~~NEW!~~~ FREE Leveling Up worksheet download HERE