Is this you?
You want to write or you’re already writing and you’re ready for people to read your words. Are you finally ready to “put yourself out there” and allow your words to be seen but you’re not sure how?
Attention aspiring authors and writers: do these three things FIRST
Check out this video or keep reading.
The first thing you need to do is absolutely critical.
1. Set aside time TO WRITE.
I recommend a minimum of two hours, even if it’s only once every few weeks. You need a block of time to do nothing but WRITE.
[tweetthis]Without setting aside time to write, it will not happen. Make a commitment and stick to it. [/tweetthis]
- Schedule your writing time and treat it like an appointment.
- Make sure it’s at a time and in a place where you can focus.
- Eliminate distractions.
- Utilize an accountability partner to keep you on track. A fellow aspiring author or writer is ideal.
- Celebrate your progress.
2. Start a blog.
If you’re unsure about whether you need a blog, here’s my post about The power of blogging. Trust me–you need a blog.
A blog gives you a place to publish your writing but
[tweetthis]The real magic of a blog is that it forces you to keep writing! #blogging[/tweetthis]
Consistency in blogging is key so even if you blog once a month, that’s a great start.
I’ve been blogging since 2007 and have managed over a dozen blogs overs the years so I can tell you what I wish someone had told me when I first started:
- begin with a hosted WordPress.org site (yes, you’ll have to buy a domain name and pay for web hosting–just do it)
- hire a professional to set up your blog. They’ll usually give you a basic template and the most important plug-ins to get your started. Trust me, you’ll be glad you got help. If you’d like MY help with this (along with my talented friend Andrea), check out the My Beautiful Blog option.
- determine your target market (who you want to read your blog) and basic branding before you get started
- have ONE social media site where you’ll publicize your blog posts (Twitter or Facebook are two great options–choose the one where 1. you’re most comfortable and 2. your readers hang out)
- JUST WRITE
I recently put all my insights into one place here.
It’s all about progress over perfection for new bloggers.
The best way to discover your voice and fine tune your message is by writing and publishing.
I have a lot of great blogging inspiration on my Blogging Pinterest Board:
Follow Tabitha Dumas’ Blog’s board Business:: blogging on Pinterest.
3. Grow your email list.
Most people want to write and/or get published because they aspire to do more. They might want to speak to groups, land more consulting gigs or simply establish their expertise within their field. To do any of that, you need to create a tribe and a following–and communicate with them on a regular basis.
Constant Contact and Mailchimp are great email newsletter options (I use Mailchimp) and are very user-friendly, then you can have a “subscribe to my email list” on your blog to capture the information of those who want to continue to hear from you. When you’re ready to launch your first book, you’ll be grateful that you started early!
You can send a monthly email newsletter or just send a quick message when you have news to share.
Again, the important thing is to just do it and allow it to grow with you.
BONUS! If you’re local to the Phoenix valley, you are welcome to join our Write It! Writer’s Circle.
I hope these tips for aspiring authors and writers helped you!
Remember, you can start your beautiful blog today!
Please share with anyone who might need this information, I’d love to see their writing take off!
Tabitha Dumas says
Yea!! I’m glad you like it! Thanks for reading and commenting!!