This came from my “Blogging for Business: Interacting with Your Target Market” class back in November, 2012.
Yes, The Question is “To blog or not to blog.”
Ready for a quiz? Grab your pencil and paper.
Give yourself ONE point for each true statement:
1. I have a blog tab on my website but it’s empty
2. I’ve thought about writing e-books but don’t know where to start
3. I enjoy reading and/or commenting on blogs
4. I have an interesting hobby, pastime or passion that I could write about or share photos of online
5. I’m computer and Internet-savvy and enjoy working on the ‘behind the scenes’ aspects of a business–whether mine or someone else’s
6. I feel like Facebook doesn’t quite give me enough space to say everything I have to say
7. I find that my customers ask the same questions over and over again and I often wish that I could just point them to an article I wrote
8. I want to establish myself as an expert in my field
9. I would like a place to link to from Facebook for people to read about what I’m doing, reading or working on
10. I find myself reading articles or website content and thinking, “Well, I could have written that, and probably even BETTER than they did!”
11. People often tell me, “You should start a blog.”
12. I fancy myself a writer but I don’t have a place to publish my work (or a way to see if anyone is really interested in it)
13. I have a lot of knowledge and real-life experience to share with my customers and associates
14. My business includes educating people on why they need to use me or my services
15. My business has a large social media and/or online marketing component
16. I work for a company or a person that could benefit from having a business blog
17. I have expertise or content that someone else could link to or use for THEIR blog
18. I want to grow my online community and increase my visibility
19. A large percentage of my target market reads or writes blogs
20. I have been itching to unleash my inner blogger but wasn’t sure how.
Total your points.
If you have 16-20 points, you need to start a blog immediately. You’ll probably be a ‘pro blogger,’ posting several times/week.
If you have 11-15 points, you should brainstorm your purpose and potential topics and consider starting a blog soon. You’ll probably be a ‘part-time blogger,’ posting several times/month.
If you have 6-10 points, ask around, think about it and consider starting a small-time blog. You’ll probably be an ‘occasional blogger,’ posting once/month or so. You may also just enjoy having a blog for personal use!
If you have five or less, just enjoy reading everyone else’s blogs!
If you’re still not sure how to proceed, schedule a consultation and assessment with me to come up with a plan.