Our next “create a beautiful life” installment is to create a reading nook. Fall and winter are especially lovely seasons to curl up with a hot cup of cider, tea or coffee and a good book (or for me, a magazine). Like the coffee and tea station we talked about last week (find it here), you can probably
create a reading nook
with items you already own!
What do you need?
- A chair, chaise or couch
- A surface to hold your cup of whatever you’re drinking (a cocktail? iced tea? lemon water?) like a side table or garden stool
- Books, magazines, your knitting supplies, “me moments” box (get the scoop here), journal and pens, manicure kit or whatever you’ll be using in your space
- Something to contain the above (a basket, magazine rack or ottoman with storage works well)
- A light source
- Anything cozy, whether a candle or essential oil diffuser, blanket, pillow, etc.
- A foot stool
- A plant or flowers for a little life
- A special coaster, artwork, vase, etc. or whatever makes the space more yours
I’m all for shopping your house first, meaning go around and see what you can pull from other rooms or out of storage before you go shopping.
And try secondhand stores before the big box retailers if you like more unique items with character and a story.
Starting with an inspiration piece like a piece of art or a favorite pillow (or the rug below) to build a color scheme or “vibe” helps the space look more intentional and cohesive.
Consider an out-of-the-way spot or a corner for a more cozy feel. (I love these pink chairs!)
Consider when you’ll use your nook. Do you want it near a fireplace to read after a long day?
Will you use it in the morning near a window for a view or extra sunlight?
Just add a chair to a space where you already hang out, like your sewing room…
…or master bedroom.
Or maybe you already have a chair, you just need the table and reading materials and something cozy.
The idea is to make it inviting, comfortable and what works for YOU and your beautiful life.
It has to be a space you are eager to go to and don’t want to leave. That’s what makes life more beautiful!
Rough out a few ideas, check Pinterest (like my “Home :: your space” board here), get a plan and start putting it together!
Do you have a reading nook? Would you like to put one together? Find me on Instagram or Facebook to keep the conversation going!