I know this. I know you know this. But if you’re like me, you have to be reminded that life never slows down.
When a season ends or a big life event passes, we might be tempted to think, “Oh, now life will finally slow down a bit.” And maybe it does for a day or even a week or a month. But it’s just a temporary lull until things pick back up to their usual pace.
Life never slows down
I learned this when I kept hearing myself say, “Just let me get past ______ (upcoming event or occasion) and things will slow down.”
A few weeks ago, it was karate belt testing.
Right after that, it was our gender reveal party.
The next weekend I hosted a tea party. Then it was my son’s birthday. Then Mother’s Day (plus my oldest got sick, because…life).
Now we’re facing down the last three weeks of school (with field trips and book reports). Then summer break, moving our housemate out, rearranging our house for a new baby then a family wedding in June then back to school…and BAM, it’s Christmas, right??
See the pattern?
“Once I’m past that…” I’ll get the kids’ clothes organized, revamp my cleaning schedule (OK, create my cleaning schedule), arrange my studio just how I want it, take the time to catch up with old friends, etc…etc…
We all have those things we’ll take care of when when life slows down.
The problem is, it never does. I don’t know anyone twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do.
Don’t most of us have multiple running to-do lists in our brains at all times?
The list of what HAS to get done today, the stuff that should get done this week, the peripheral projects that aren’t time sensitive…then there’s the list for when the other lists are complete like the garage clean-out, writing the book, a road trip…
So naturally, when life slows down a bit, we just move to the next list.
Living with a fast life
I’m learning to accept that life just keeps moving faster and faster. Life never slows down and my 90-year-old grandmother says it only gets worse! What to do??
Instead of resisting a fast-paced life, here are ways to cope.
- Zero in on YOUR values and priorities. Know what “doing it all” looks like for you. Read about it here.
- Declutter as much as possible so you can focus on what matters most. Read about my Great Declutter of 2015 here.
- Consider simplifying your wardrobe. When you change how you get dressed, it truly changes your life. Simplify your wardrobe.
- Tackle those projects…just 1. give yourself grace 2. enlist help and 3.celebrate your progress
- Reject busyness.
- Fight for your life
- Stop playing nice and embrace the rage
How to slow life down a bit
- keep a journal to record milestones, “a-has” or prayers. Read how and why to journal here.
- celebrate even your smallest accomplishments and victories. Don’t just keep rushing to the next task or project.
- live a tea lifestyle (your “tea” is whatever helps you slow down and enjoy the moment) Read about it: live a tea lifestyle.
- Practice self care. Start here.
How do you deal with the truth that life never slows down? I’d love hear your ideas!
Please pin and share: